Tarflower Chapter

Orange County, Florida

Orange County Residential Native Landscape Grants

The Florida Native Plant Society’s (FNPS) mission is to promote the preservation, conservation and restoration of the native plants and native plant communities of Florida. The benefits of native wildflowers and plants are becoming better known especially in their role in supporting native crop pollinators, decreasing air and water pollution, providing wildlife habitat, and in general, creating a better environment for all Floridians.  Therefore, the Tarflower Chapter of FNPS provides a grant opportunity to residents of Orange County to install, enhance or restore a native landscape landscape that will increase the awareness and knowledge of native wildflowers at their residence or common community areas. The project should demonstrate to their neighbors and community members the benefits and beauty of Florida native plants in a cultivated landscape.

Up to 4 potential winners of $500 may be selected to establish a new native plant landscape in a homeowner’s garden or community common area, or to expand or enhance an existing garden or common area.  The native plant installed garden should be in a visible location that experiences pedestrian traffic. Partnerships with local community groups, non-profit organizations and area businesses are strongly encouraged.

Grant proposals to include: 

  1. A project design should include but is not limited to:
    • a narrative describing the project and its expected results.
    • a design plan (hand sketch acceptable), timeline for installation, plant list, and maintenance plan.Plant list shall not contain plants listed on the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council’s Category I and II or the Florida Noxious Plant List.
    • Design area shall not have more than 10% non-native plant species.
    • Design plan showing percentage of coverage and uses at least 80% of grant funds to purchase Florida native plants remaining 20% can be used to purchase pine needle mulch, hardscape, installation costs, etc. Plant species must occur naturally in the area and be appropriate to the environment of the property.
    • Temporary signage indicating source of funding and benefits of native plants.
  2. Completed application form and signed agreement (attached)
  3. Written Homeowner Association approval/permission, if applicable.

In addition, during the grant period, Tarflower Chapter members shall be allowed to periodically evaluate the native plant owner garden's establishment, maintenance, and aesthetics.

Applications may be submitted electronically by clicking here or send email to tarflower@fnps.org by April 30, 2024.

Grant awardees will be notified of acceptance or denial within 45 days of applying.

Please note, previous recipients of the Tarflower Landscape Grant are ineligible to apply for a period of 5 years. Previous applicants who did not receive the 2023 Landscape Grant remain eligible. Grant recipients must be Orange County residents. A Tarflower representative may, upon request, visit the project area and follow up with the grant recipient on progress.

Logo